I’ve been wanting to make this recipe for a while and finally the stars aligned, the kids cooperated, the kitchen was clean, and mama could make some shrimp.
And make some shrimp I did!!!
Let me tell you, these are the best darn shrimp you will ever have. They really are not spicy, just “well seasoned” as my kids say. If you wanted to spice them up, and what I will most likely do next time, is add a little bit of cayenne pepper. Yay for “well seasoned”!
This recipe is super SIMPLE, super fast, super easy, and super delicious.
Here’s what you need:
1 cup of shredded unsweetened coconut
3 egg whites
About 30 peeled shrimp (add or take away as you need)
2 tsp chili powder
2 tsp comino
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp oregano
Here’s what you do:
1. Combine shredded coconut, chili powder, comino, garlic powder, and oregano in a bowl.
2. Whisk egg whites in a separate bowl.
3. Heat coconut oil in pan, just enough to cover the bottom, on medium heat.
4. Dip shrimp in egg whites and shake to remove excess.
5. Dredge shrimp in coconut mixture, pressing to cover all of shrimp.
6. Brown shrimp on both sides in coconut oil, about 3 minutes per side.
7. Continue the process until all shrimp are cooked, adding coconut oil to the pan as needed.
8. Okay, pay close attention because this is the part that makes the shrimp:
When the shrimp are done, squeeze the juice of a lime all over the coconut shrimp. BAM! Spicy coconut shrimp.
These shrimp are so good, and really good for you too. What a perfect and delicious way to get in some good fat and some good flavor. This is our new finger food dish, our own version of fish and chips with fried plantains.
The kids loved the shrimp, of course, and were begging for more!
This really is the perfect lunchbox meal, tailgating appetizer, or late night craving satisfier. Perfect for any occasion!
From our “Whole Family” to yours,
I hope you enjoy our Spicy Coconut Shrimp as much as we do.